Search
Close this search box.

Gynecology and Obstetrics Clinic of the Faculty of Medicine

Year
1949
Place
Belgrade, Serbia
Type of objectHealth
Project outcomeCompetition work

Zloković’s post-war work, left in the shadow of his pioneering achievements of mature modernism, left a unique architectural trace in Serbian architecture of the second half of the 20th century, in which multilayered design experiences were sublimated and continuous research work aimed at understanding and permeating scientific and artistic components of architecture. One of those lesser-known achievements from the post-war period of creativity is the awarded competition work for the Gynecology and Obstetrics Clinic of the Medical Faculty in Belgrade, which is now available to researchers in the Milan Zloković Collection at the Belgrade City Museum. Thanks to the rapid growth of living standard after the Second World War, health care is becoming one of the important factors in life, so many countries are investing significant funds in improving health care conditions, especially in those societies with more developed social policies. One of them was Yugoslavia, where since the second half of the fifties, investments have been made in the construction of new social infrastructure facilities, among which hospitals and health complexes stand out. The quality of health care is also reflected in modernly designed and equipped health care institutions. In that context, Zloković’s design for the clinic is significant, in which the disposition of the building and the internal organization derive from modern hospital settings and technological achievements. The rotation of the four wings of the building enabled their full opening in accordance with the appropriate orientation, in order to provide the hospital rooms with an unobstructed view. The solution is based on the modular coordination of measures applied in the construction and functional setups.

See more projects

1926
With the reconstruction of the country after the First World War, the railway in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes became the main means of transport and the initiator of modernization. The construction of new railway routes that connected populated areas, such as the Adriatic route, which was in the focus of the professional public, initiated the construction of smaller station buildings, for which Zloković, in response to outdated projects which "reflected the indifference of the traffic administration", typical solutions of simple refined architecture.
Belgrade, Serbia
1926
The project for the Pantheon, the temple of all gods, Zloković worked on for the needs of the state exam, that is, for the purpose of acquiring the professional authorization of an architect. In the evolution of Zloković's path to modernism, several projects of historicist evocation stand out with elements from the national architectural history and a vocabulary of romantic and expressionist orientations.
Belgrade, Serbia
Kralja Milutina 33
1926–1927
Among several residential buildings designed for the Belgrade investor and owner Josif Šojat, an interpolated multi-storey building (residential building with rented apartments) in 33 Kralja Milutina Street stands out, with which Zloković brought the spirit of Mediterranean profane architecture into the Vračar city agglomeration, making several form gestures atypical for the previous Belgrade architecture.
Greece, Thessaloniki
1926
The Serbian military cemetery in Thessaloniki, built in the area of Zejtinlik (former Turkish market) where the Main Military Hospital for the Serbian Army has been located since 1916. and which included a cemetery for deceased fighters, was designed with the idea of burying in a common cemetery for all the fallen warriors on the Thessaloniki front.