Search
Close this search box.

Rental office building of the Mortgage Bank of the Trade Fund, Palace “Albania” (H.B.T.)

Year
1938
Place
Belgrade, Serbia
Frankopanove and Kralja Milana
Type of objectAdministration and business
Project outcomeCompetition work

After the demolition of the Albania tavern, located on the corner of Kolarčeva and Knez Mihajlova streets, a well-known meeting place for many Belgraders, which they called a mockery and unhygienic place in the city center, the question arose as to what should be built in that important location in the capital. In a poll conducted by the daily Vreme in October 1936. among several prominent Belgrade architects about what they saw on the site of a demolished cafe and what would be the starting points for a new solution, Milan Zloković said that a “building” should be erected on that prominent corner of downtown Belgrade which will conjure up a passage of New York’s Rockefeller City on a smaller scale “, performed in such a way that it is generally accessible with its disposition and purpose. Zloković advocated that the present dilemmas in the professional and general public be resolved by announcing an architectural competition for the conceptual design, which was done in mid-January 1938, when the Mortgage Bank of the Trade Fund in Belgrade announced a competition for a conceptual sketch for a new building to be a monumental builtind with regard to the shape, value and characteristics of the location. In the functional sense, the building would be a business-administrative building with space for rent, and according to the conditions of the competition, it was envisaged to have a ground floor, mezzanine and seven floors. Dozens of Yugoslav architects participated in the competition, proposing various solutions, among which the solution of the architect Zloković on a distinctly modern architectural treatment of a specific urban situation remained noticeable. Zloković emphasized the angular position of the building with a slender rounded tower of eighteen floors that grows organically from the lower part fitted into the block structure. The building conceived in this way would be an urban landmark and a city lookout point of the modern city, enriched by the architect Zloković with his realizations.

Sources

„Уместо срушене „Албаније”… требало би подићи зграду која ће нам дочарати бар један одломак њујорошког Рокфелер-ситија… (Instead of destroyed “Albania”… a building should be erected that will conjure up at least one fragment of Rockefeller City, New York…)” [statement in the survey], Време, 21. 10. 1936, 11

See more projects

1926
With the reconstruction of the country after the First World War, the railway in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes became the main means of transport and the initiator of modernization. The construction of new railway routes that connected populated areas, such as the Adriatic route, which was in the focus of the professional public, initiated the construction of smaller station buildings, for which Zloković, in response to outdated projects which "reflected the indifference of the traffic administration", typical solutions of simple refined architecture.
Belgrade, Serbia
1926
The project for the Pantheon, the temple of all gods, Zloković worked on for the needs of the state exam, that is, for the purpose of acquiring the professional authorization of an architect. In the evolution of Zloković's path to modernism, several projects of historicist evocation stand out with elements from the national architectural history and a vocabulary of romantic and expressionist orientations.
Belgrade, Serbia
Kralja Milutina 33
1926–1927
Among several residential buildings designed for the Belgrade investor and owner Josif Šojat, an interpolated multi-storey building (residential building with rented apartments) in 33 Kralja Milutina Street stands out, with which Zloković brought the spirit of Mediterranean profane architecture into the Vračar city agglomeration, making several form gestures atypical for the previous Belgrade architecture.
Greece, Thessaloniki
1926
The Serbian military cemetery in Thessaloniki, built in the area of Zejtinlik (former Turkish market) where the Main Military Hospital for the Serbian Army has been located since 1916. and which included a cemetery for deceased fighters, was designed with the idea of burying in a common cemetery for all the fallen warriors on the Thessaloniki front.