Search
Close this search box.

Saint Sava Temple

Year
1926–1927
Place
Belgrade, Serbia
Type of objectMemorial and sacral
Project outcomeCompetition work

The most prominent Serbian architects participated in the second competition with the memorial temple of Saint Sava in Vračar, announced in 1926, among whom Milan Zloković and the Russian architect Andrej Vasiljevič Papkov performed with a joint competition work, which, according to the jury, was the redemption prize. The competition notice was looking for a monumental temple in the Serbian-Byzantine style from the time of Prince Lazar, which could accommodate six thousand believers. Their solution of the temple with a base in the form of an inscribed concise cross has been noticed in architectural historiography by a unique, organically conceived, shaped treatment based on the gradation of semicircular volumes and surfaces in combination with several hemispheres and a central dome. An expressionist effect was achieved on such a diverse composition with a touch of visionary aspirations in which the original approach and modernized stylization can be distinguished. Zloković believed that the Church of Saint Sava, as a single artistic whole, should be conceived freely and without restrictions, “through the prism of the modern understanding of art and life”, because only in that way would it represent “a true expression of people’s gratitude to its first educator”.

Sources

„Скице за Св.-Савски храм у Београду (Saint Sava Temple in Belgrade)” [competition sketch by M. Zloković and А. Papkov], Рашка: уметничка смотра (Belgrade), Vol. I, Iss. 1 (1929), n. n. [252]

See more projects

1926
With the reconstruction of the country after the First World War, the railway in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes became the main means of transport and the initiator of modernization. The construction of new railway routes that connected populated areas, such as the Adriatic route, which was in the focus of the professional public, initiated the construction of smaller station buildings, for which Zloković, in response to outdated projects which "reflected the indifference of the traffic administration", typical solutions of simple refined architecture.
Belgrade, Serbia
1926
The project for the Pantheon, the temple of all gods, Zloković worked on for the needs of the state exam, that is, for the purpose of acquiring the professional authorization of an architect. In the evolution of Zloković's path to modernism, several projects of historicist evocation stand out with elements from the national architectural history and a vocabulary of romantic and expressionist orientations.
Belgrade, Serbia
Kralja Milutina 33
1926–1927
Among several residential buildings designed for the Belgrade investor and owner Josif Šojat, an interpolated multi-storey building (residential building with rented apartments) in 33 Kralja Milutina Street stands out, with which Zloković brought the spirit of Mediterranean profane architecture into the Vračar city agglomeration, making several form gestures atypical for the previous Belgrade architecture.
Greece, Thessaloniki
1926
The Serbian military cemetery in Thessaloniki, built in the area of Zejtinlik (former Turkish market) where the Main Military Hospital for the Serbian Army has been located since 1916. and which included a cemetery for deceased fighters, was designed with the idea of burying in a common cemetery for all the fallen warriors on the Thessaloniki front.