Search
Close this search box.

School complex (Teacher’s and Higher Pedagogical School)

Year
1959–1960
Place
Prizren, Serbia
Type of objectEducational
Project outcomeRealization

After the invitation of the local government of Prizren (Kosovo) in 1959. to design a new building of the Teacher’s School, Zloković proposed that the school is to be designed as prefabricated with consistent application of modular coordination, showing the investor that the new building will certainly be more rational than traditional construction, without hampering functional organization. This proposal was accepted, so Prizren received the first building built in this way in Yugoslavia. Zloković designed the school in cooperation with the architects, son Đorđe Zloković and daughter Milica Mojović, according to a program that envisaged a school capacity of about 300 students in one shift. The location had a falling terrain over which an imaginary urban raster with a density of 90 M (modules), i.e., 9 meters, was placed, with the connection of this orthogonal system to a certain reference point. Then, a three-storey school block was placed in this raster, which was designed over a continuous design network with a density of 18 M, which is 1.8 meters in a longitudinal structural system of prefabricated type (according to the then standard at that time, the basic module 1M was 10 cm). An annex was built next to the school, connected by a covered porch, and it houses a gym (multi-purpose) hall, two workshops and two smaller apartments. The internal organization of the school is based on the hall system, which meant that instead of long corridors, the classrooms were grouped around a spacious hall in which exhibitions could be organized. On the ground floor there is an administration, a library with a reading room, a hall for cinema projections, rooms for social activities and a kitchen, while on the first and second floor there are classrooms and cabinets. The building is constructed in a skeletal system with prefabricated pillars and hollow ceilings. In order to reduce the formwork and scaffolding to a minimum and to obtain ready-made treated surfaces, prefabricated columns, prefabricated elements that are filled with concrete and prefabricated facade parts were used. In the external finishing of the building, a system of prefabricated elements is manifested in the finishing, and the spacing of the window openings is based on a constant basic spacing resulting from the basic prefabricated assembly.

Sources

See more projects

1926
With the reconstruction of the country after the First World War, the railway in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes became the main means of transport and the initiator of modernization. The construction of new railway routes that connected populated areas, such as the Adriatic route, which was in the focus of the professional public, initiated the construction of smaller station buildings, for which Zloković, in response to outdated projects which "reflected the indifference of the traffic administration", typical solutions of simple refined architecture.
Belgrade, Serbia
1926
The project for the Pantheon, the temple of all gods, Zloković worked on for the needs of the state exam, that is, for the purpose of acquiring the professional authorization of an architect. In the evolution of Zloković's path to modernism, several projects of historicist evocation stand out with elements from the national architectural history and a vocabulary of romantic and expressionist orientations.
Belgrade, Serbia
Kralja Milutina 33
1926–1927
Among several residential buildings designed for the Belgrade investor and owner Josif Šojat, an interpolated multi-storey building (residential building with rented apartments) in 33 Kralja Milutina Street stands out, with which Zloković brought the spirit of Mediterranean profane architecture into the Vračar city agglomeration, making several form gestures atypical for the previous Belgrade architecture.
Greece, Thessaloniki
1926
The Serbian military cemetery in Thessaloniki, built in the area of Zejtinlik (former Turkish market) where the Main Military Hospital for the Serbian Army has been located since 1916. and which included a cemetery for deceased fighters, was designed with the idea of burying in a common cemetery for all the fallen warriors on the Thessaloniki front.